Job Vacancy – Business Development Officer (12 month fixed term)
Based: Bishop Auckland
Line Manager: Finance Director
Salary: £22,000 basic pay per annum (pro rata) + advertising commission available
Hours of work: 24 hours per week
Holidays: 30 days (inclusive of bank/public holidays)
105.9 Bishop FM broadcasts to South Durham, encompassing some of the most deprived communities in the UK. Our station’s goals are two-fold – our primary aim is to provide interesting and informative programmes for people living and working in South Durham. However, having a community radio licence provides us with a unique opportunity to engage volunteers of all ages (from a variety of backgrounds) and to help them to develop work, social and life skills that can benefit our community as a whole.
We provide live and locally relevant daytime programming, delivered by entirely by local volunteers and encouraging listener interaction. In the evenings, we hand the station over to our capable specialist presenters whose shows cover musical genres that are currently underserved by local commercial and BBC radio operations.
We have successfully delivered a number of projects across education, training and culture, using funding from a variety of bodies and would like to extend our work in this area to enhance our reach and diversify our income streams. We have established our organisation’s ability to manage and successfully deliver grant funded projects and we are in a strong position to take this further. We now require some dedicated resource to help us to identify potential funding opportunities, organise submission of completed grant applications to funders and to manage the received grants and work with existing volunteers and community groups to ensure delivery (where project managers were not included on the original applications).
For those who are interested, there is also an opportunity for you to play a part in our station advertising strategy. Whether this is advertising sales or account management, we will provide commission (in additional to your base salary) based on results in this area.
This is an exciting and flexible position for the right person. If this sounds like it could be you, let us know.
To apply: Please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 6pm Tuesday 18 October 2016
- Identification of grant funding opportunities
- Collaboratively contributing to the drafting of high quality funding bids and tenders, in line with the requirements of funding bodies, and with a focus on large grants
- Administrative handling of the grant submission process and dealing with queries from funding bodies
- Submission of grant monitoring reports and feedback forms to funders
- Development of relationships with funding bodies
- Administrative management of projects
- General administrative support
- Management, development and promotion of our advertising portfolio
- Evidence of an aptitude for the development of grant funding applications
- Ability to work well with figures
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Confident manner with a professional, flexible, positive and diligent approach to work
- A high standard of written English and evidence of the ability to write in a concise and persuasive fashion
- Excellent presentation skills
- High levels of computer literacy including word processing, record keeping, spreadsheets and budgeting
- A good telephone manner and the ability to communicate well with our partners
- Close attention to detail
- An ability to work with figures and to use spreadsheets
- Ability and willingness to work to tight deadlines
Desirable, but not essential
- Experience of radio, preferably Community Radio
- Understanding of financial reporting and processes, in particular in relation to project finances
- Understanding of the wider funding environment and trends in the voluntary/community sector
- Experience of working with young people
- Membership of the Institute of Fundraising
- An understanding of deprivation statistics
- A current driving licence and the use of a vehicle
- Experience in advertising sales and client management